Pages

12 Fasts in 12 Months

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Every year my church, Freedom House, starts our year off right with a 21-day fast. You are encouraged to fast something that God is asking of you, typically something you need to give up to re-focus your eyes to Him. (Go to freedomhouse.cc/fast to check out the churches fast and find more information on fasting).


Well this year I felt challenged by God to fast more period. So I began journaling and came up with 12 Fasts in 12 Months.

They are not going to be easy. In fact, I probably will need lots of prayer to get through most of them. I am blessed to have my husband partnering with me in this journey. We are not just using this as a way to get closer to God, but also one another. When you take away the everyday distractions that can so easily become addictions you find that you grow closer to those you love, easily.

I've had several people mention or say, "Why didn't I think of that?" Well I want you to know it's not too late to join. Fasting is for every Christian and it's a good way to rid yourself of the extra clutter and dirt not just in your spiritual life but also in your physical.

I love what this verse says in Ezra 8:21 Then I proclaimed a fast there at the river of Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before God, to seek from Him the right for us and for our littles ones and all of our possessions. 

When you fast, you are fasting to humble yourself before the Lord. This enables you to hear Him more clearly, serve Him with more excellent, and overall increases your spiritual maturity. Not just that but we are not just fasting for ourselves but those in our inner circle. I have specific goals and prayers for 2014 and I've resolved that this is going to be one of the most incredible years I've ever had.

*

What am I fasting you ask? Here's our month to month look. I'll give you up to May as we are still praying about a few things for the remaining of the year. We will probably finalize or list for the later part of the year closer to May because a lot could change and our focuses may need adjusted.

January - Pizza and Desserts. How did we come to this conclusion? Sadly, my husband and I have a serious addiction to both. Since I've stopped consuming sugary and sweet foods my headaches have nearly stopped completely. I was getting them daily, sometimes twice a day.

February - Eating out. Another serious addiction we have. It's so easy for us as a busy family to just pick up something on the run but I know God is calling us to work as a family and as a team to create healthier meals for our family. It is also a goal of mine to cook a hot breakfast for my family at least four times a week. I notice a difference in the tone of our day when I present and cook a hot meal at the start.

March - Facebook. Everyone needs a good cleanse from facebook at least once or twice a year.

April - iPhone. Hard to imagine but in April we will be fasting from our iPhone's. When I say this I mean we will not be using our phones outside of getting a hold of people and conversating. There will be no instagram posts, no candy crush (yikes), etc. We will be unplugging.

May - In May we will be fasting breakfast and lunch (drinking juices/liquids/protein shakes). It is my goal to do a 21 to 30 -day fast (liquids only) by October so I am using May as a trainer/conditioning month. This will also be a great way for me to dive deeper into focusing on my prayer time, my reading time, etc.

I am so excited to see what 2014 brings. It's going to be a year like none other. Thank you for coming along side with me.

Be Blessed,
Meg


No comments:

Post a Comment