Pages

Open the Door

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Several weeks ago I was chatting with a friend at my home when I began to tell him the story of the princess and the pea. I don't remember why this story got brought up; or what relevance it had to what we were discussing I just know that it rocked my world. I want to share it. Piece by piece.

You see this story is important because it shows not just an earthly love a man should have for a woman, but also the love that Jesus has for us.

So there was a princess. She was on her way to an important event { this part I'm guessing } when her carriage broke down and they got into a carriage wreck.

Her driver went for help. But was gone for two days and she was starving, dirty, cold and wet. She knew she had to get out of the carriage and bravely make her way to find help. So she did. She got out and began to walk. 

Her walk was strenuous. Tiring. Very lonely. For much of the walk tears were shed and she wondered to herself if she would ever find help. She was merely surviving.

Soon she stumbled upon a castle. It was a beautifully decorated castle. She knew she was taking a risk knocking on the door because even though she was a princess she was muddy, and wet, And who would ever believe that she was, who she said she was. She knocked though. On that large castle door and hoped that someone would answer.

Photo Courtesy of Ruby Weddings
And someone did. The mother of a King seeking a Queen. This mother looked through the peep hole on the door and saw a girl standing there. A girl who was dirty. Who was unpleasant to the eyes. Her son came up behind her and asked who was there. The conversation went as follows:


"Mother, who is at the door?"
"A woman my son."
"Well open it! This might be my Queen!"
"No, this is not your Queen. This girl is dirty and unpleasant to the eyes. She's not for you."
"She may appear this way, but I have this stirring in my heart that she is it."

The King went on to argue with his mom for several moments. The princess on the outside, waited. Sometimes, we have to wait. Sometimes what we want is right inside that door. On the flip side what that King wanted and prayed for was right outside that door. He knew it. He knew despite this girls outwardly appearance that she would be the one for him.

Finally they agreed to let her in. When she was brought inside he immediately called for his servants. He asked them to bring a towel and then began to wipe her face, her arms. He tenderly dried her hair. Finally he had her taken to be cleaned up completely. He had the finest silk dress brought to her chambers and told her when she was done being cleaned up to come down for a royal feast. He was going to show this girl, who humbly stayed quiet and answered simple questions he asked, that she was of value.


After she cleaned up she came down to join the King and his mother for breakfast. She was a site to behold. The mother however, was still uncertain. The princess shared the story of her carriage being wrecked and how she was a princess. The mother annoyed and angry pulled her son aside. She said:


"Lets test her tonight. In her sleeping chambers put a pea under nine mattress. Any woman who claims to be a true princess, and is, would feel the pea under all the mattresses and would have a restless nights sleep."

The King obliged in hopes to show his mother the truth { and to shut her up }.

You see, ladies. This is such a good spiritual lesson. We are to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit. There are times when our carriages will wreck, we will walk a long and lonely road, but this should never hinder what the Lord wants to do in us. That princess had to be sensitive to know to get out of the carriage and go. If she would have sat waiting for her driver than she would have never met this King and she would have missed out on her destiny. Don't wait.

That night the King kissed the forehead of the princess and told her that he was glad she knocked on his door. She responded, "I'm even more grateful you opened the door to me my King."

Ruth 2:10 says, "So she fell on her face, bowed down to the ground, and said to him, "Why have I found favor in your eyes, that you should take notice of me, since I am foreigner!"

Same story. Just like Ruth in that moment couldn't understand why Boaz would take interest in her the princess couldn't imagine why the King would open the door for her. But he did. Jesus did. And He welcomes you completely with open arms. Cleans us up. Feeds us and dresses us.

Photo Courtesy of Ruby Weddings

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. I didn't realize how tenderly Jesus desired me. Not only that but how deeply Jesus desired for me to know an earthly man in this way. It's possible. Fairy tales are real; even if they don't happen exactly how the movies say it does. Because I live a fairy tale every day.

The King desired the princess. He saw her worth. He saw her spirit. We have to stop looking for earthly spouses in the natural. We have to see deeper, we have to look at them through the eyes of Jesus and find someone who's spirit is more beautiful than anything on the outside. 

"I am my beloved’s, And his desire is toward me." Song of Solomon‬ ‭7‬:‭10‬

So the princess, she goes to sleep that night. She tosses and turns all night getting barely an hour { man do I relate here } of rest. She wakes the next morning and joins the King and his mother for breakfast. She sat down and began to eat when the King said, "Princess, is everything ok? You look tired."

The princess responded, "No. I'm not ok. I did not sleep a wink last night. Something was under my mattress."

The King gleefully got up and immediately proposed to this beautiful princess. So often in life we miss out on God's greatest blessings; on the things we pray for, because it's outwardly packaging doesn't match up to what our human like thinking conjures up. If that King would have never answered the door he would have lost his queen.

Photo Courtesy of Ruby Weddings


This story says so much to so many. If you are on the outside, that princess, who feels dirty and alone. You aren't. Jesus will always open the door. He hears your knock. He is "El Roi" the God who sees you. He hears you.

If you are that King, open.the.door. Stop listening to the voices of the enemy. Stop listening to outside influences. You know what you've prayed. It's time to claim it.

I'm thankful for this lesson; this story that replays in my heart. I love Him. Jesus, my King. He opened that door for me when He should have left me outside in the rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment